Advertisement

The smell of death

topic posted Mon, March 19, 2007 - 6:34 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hi, newbie here!
This topic has always been intriguing to me for as long as I can remember. I have had quite a few "spiritual" experiences and love to hear about others. It brings me closer to home in a sense that I'm not crazy!
Anyways, I will share the last experience I had. A couple years ago, my Grandmother was close to death (cancer) and pretty much incoherent (as far as I know...she just stared and breathed as we watched her). She was unresponsive at this point....couldn't move, eat, drink etc.....she was in "that" state. All I felt from her was an empty shell and a spirit hanging on by a pinkie. The smell of her room was potent and like nothing I've experienced before. I'm just going to call it the death smell.....I know there is one and this had to be it! We knew she was hours or even a day or so away. I stayed at the house to spend my last days with her. During this time, I was having a slew of personal problems. I was very troubled about going to visit someone I was terribly afraid of and uncomfortable to be around. But, I had to confront this person and put my feelings aside. Well, as I got into the elevator to go up, the doors closed and the smell was there! That smell! UUUGGHHHH!!!! I don't want so sound too dramatic about it, but the feeling that it could have only come from her room and now was in the elevator with me a few miles away was incredible! I knew she was still hanging on by a thread, but it really made me think she was astral at this stage in her dying. I knew it had to be her. The smell like no other. I'm sure she was there to comfort me and show she was there. So, after I was done with the confrontation, I got back into the elevator.....no smell at all. Has anyone else had an experience similar to this? For me, it was one of a kind! BTW...she passed away in the middle of the night the next day.
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: The smell of death

Mon, March 19, 2007 - 7:32 PM
    smell is the deepest human sense (often linked with memories & used by the spirit world to gain notice) ~ once you have smelled death it's unmistakable ~ my deceased grandmother usually uses gardenia, her favorite flower ~ she specifically pointed out that smell to me before she died & sometimes I smell it even when there are no flowers around

love all-ways,
    mem
    • Unsu...

Re: The smell of death

Mon, March 19, 2007 - 8:30 PM
      I envy that your smell is gardenia. This scent is nothing you would want to bottle or hang around the house! I have not smelled it after that....but I think I would welcome the pungency If I experienced it again. :-) thanks for your reply.

Mon, March 19, 2007 - 9:12 PM
      My son's spirit uses the mingled smell of coffee and roses when he wants to let me know he's around.

He and I were the only two coffeedrinkers in the family, and we had a host of rituals surrounding sitting down for coffee together. He once gave me a coffee cup with a rose on it, which I still use nearly every day. On my birthday, one month after he died, his free Gevalia coffeemaker got forwarded to my house -- the one present I got that terrible year!

So the coffee/roses thing is sort of our private joke, I think.

Tue, March 20, 2007 - 7:44 AM
        I found out while working at a hospital that cancer has a particular smell it's self.
        It is very distinctive and I suspect that is what you were smelling.
        I worked in an office a few years after the hospital and in one area I kept smelling the same
        cancer smell - I found out later that a woman I didn't see very often had late stage cancer and that is
        what I was smelling.

Tue, March 20, 2007 - 8:36 AM
          Makes sense. I've heard that dogs can smell cancer, and sometimes alert their owners to suspicious growths on their owners' bodies, as they try to bite or lick off a mole or other lesion.
          • Unsu...

Tue, March 20, 2007 - 8:27 PM
            I think it's just amazing! I really feel honored that I got to experience something so unusual and REAL! When so many people are usually speaking of seeing and hearing ghosts....smell I think is often missed. I think it's probably there a lot, but who would think to recognize it? I had no choice in the elevator so I couldn't really miss it! But, what I find the strangest of all in this is that she had not passed yet That creeps me out most of all! It makes me think of what the spirit can do and now I can never really dismiss any story that seems impossible. I am grateful and really feel I was given a gift of experience. Thanks for the replies. I did not know cancer had a smell all it's own.

Wed, March 21, 2007 - 7:41 AM
              The person in the hospital had skin cancer and they would put an onion under the bed of those afflicted
              to absorb some of the smell - it didn't work.

Sat, March 24, 2007 - 4:17 PM

I used to go to Mortuary College. At lunch I would get a sandwich and go up to the obsevation gallery and eat while bodies were being tinkered with in the embalming room. There was no bad smell because of all of the chemicals in the air. I would get a buzz sitting up there. Yum yum yum.

Swaz
                • Unsu...

Mon, April 2, 2007 - 2:34 AM
                  Which Mortuary College? I went to Cypress in California. You know the one Fredrico went to in "Six Feet Under". Most of the first seasons stories were about people I went to school with or knew. That's too funny about the sandwich. Most people outside the business can't understand. Peace.
        • Unsu...

Thu, September 20, 2007 - 7:59 AM
          Hi Im new ,

I know what you mean about the smell from being around people with cancer.
          Its a hard smell to discribe and not at all nice.

Recent topics in "Ghosts and the Afterlife"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Scents and unusual unexplained smells. Unsubscribed 27 May 17, 2014
utube evp voice said im in the attic. wendy 0 March 12, 2013
Cologne smell Beth 0 September 15, 2012
Grandson sees people tammy 0 October 30, 2011